What do we do and why?
The Smart School Councils Community (SSCC) is a teacher-led charity that helps young people to become active, democratic citizens. To do that, we implement our Smart School Councils model into schools which means everyone is involved in developing skills and experiencing democracy. We support our 6,400 schools members who come from across the UK and beyond!
How does it work?
The Smart School Council model involves all students in the school, and helps them to develop key skills around oracy, confidence and leadership. It supports students to become active, democratic citizens. The Smart School Council model helps schools to:
- Involve ALL of students in developing skills
- Directly address Ofsted requirements on British Values/SMSC & Prevent
- Track data on involvement
- Is easier to run than a traditional school council
It has three clear elements:
- Class meetings: Short, regular, structured and student-led meetings in every class / tutor group across the school.
- Action teams: Any student can set up an action team based on an idea or issue that they have.
- Communication team: Brings the whole model together, facilitates wide involvement and tracks it.
How do schools adopt it?
Schools can adopt the model by following the clear implementation plan in our Smart School Councils Manual. This includes all the resources, web tools and support to engage all students. You can find out more about the model here.
Who are we?
- Diane May Diane recently retired as Headteacher of Lady Zia Wernher School, a primary special school in Luton.
- Annie Doubledee Annie is a retired director of a childcare trust.
- Jack Gillum Jack is a student at Reading University and a town Councillor.
- Charis Prevett Charis is a History teacher and head of student voice at King’s Lynn Academy
- Jared Hamilton Jared is Head of English and Student Voice at Haringey Sixth Form College in Tottenham, London.
- Olivia Sanchez Olivia is a Latin teacher at St. Paul’s Way Trust School in Tower Hamlets, London.
- Gerry Robinson Gerry is Co-Headteacher at Woodside High School, Haringey.
- Laura Campbell (Chair) Laura is Contracts Manager at Isledon, an organisation delivering public services in Islington.
Who are our supporters and funders?
Want to get involved?
Feel free to drop Greg an email to [email protected]. We’d love to hear from you.