We’re hiring – Business Administration Apprentice
Smart School Councils Community Apprentice job description
What is the Smart School Councils Community?
The Smart School Councils Community (SSCC) is a new not for profit organisation that is based in Tottenham. We help young people to have a say in their schools through school councils.
School councils are elected groups of young people in schools that influence how that school runs and learns. They exist in 95% of UK schools but many of them are tokenistic and don’t get anything done.
The SSCC helps to make their school councils more fun, include more people and have more power. We organise training for students and teachers, develop resources and run events to make sure that happens. Read more about us on our website at www.smartschoolcouncils.org.uk.
We are a small organisation based in the Bernie Grant Arts Centre, Tottenham, Haringey.
Why are we looking for an apprentice?
We are looking to appoint an apprentice to help us with the general running of our organisation and also to help us develop the SSCC.
We believe that young people should influence their schools and the organisations that work for them and so we would encourage applications from young people. As well as business administration, we’d love our apprentice to help us out at events, with resources and our website.
[message_box type=”note” ]
Community Apprentice Summary
Organisation: Smart School Councils Community
Job Title: Community Apprentice
Reporting to: Greg Sanderson
Hours: 35 per week (8 hours would be in college)
Wage: £175 per week gross (£5 per hour)
Qualifications: You will work towards an NVQ Level 2 in Business Administration (or higher)
What are the main responsibilities of the position?
General business administration tasks like:
- Processing invoices
- Processing expenses
- Mailing out resources to schools that have bought our handbooks, posters or badges
- Inputting data from training evaluation forms into Excel
- Answering the phone
- Responding to email queries
- Organising meetings
Tasks to help the Smart School Councils Community grow, for example:
- Preparing training materials for our training sessions in schools
- Assisting us at our school council training in local Haringey schools and potentially across London and the UK
- Preparing documents for trustee meetings of the SSCC
- Helping to create blog posts, monitor and moderate the SSCC website at www.smartschoolcouncils.org.uk
- Helping to come up with new ideas for resources, and testing them out
- Going to meetings with other organisations to help the community to grow
What will you get out of it?
You’ll get loads of experience working with a new and exciting organisation that is working across Europe to help school councils. You’ll meet some interesting people in schools, colleges, funding organisation and the world of social entrepreneurship.
You will also work towards an NVQ Level 2 (or higher) in Business Administration through CONEL. Further details: http://www.conel.ac.uk/courses/business-administration-and-accounting/33-level-2/79-business-administration-apprenticeship-level-2.html
What kind of person are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who is:
- A good ‘people person’ who is going at talking to people and especially relates well to young people
- Someone with a friendly and positive outlook
- Interested in helping young people to have a voice in their schools
- Good at writing, spelling and grammar
- Has a basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Has some experience (good or bad) of school councils and/or youth work
- Keen to learn new things and develop new skills!
If you would like to apply for this position, email your CV and a covering note to Greg and Asher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your email please tell us about how you fit the description above.
Applications close on Monday December 30th 2013.
Interviews will be on Friday, 3rd January 2014 at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre, Tottenham (near Seven Sisters station).
Download this job description:
SSCC Apprentice job description